"Steam in Ontario" OR 101-75
This website provides:
- Information updates about My four railway history Books.
- News about current and pending Canadian railway (history) publications.
- Information (casual and in-depth) for railway history researchers: Ontario Railway History and a gallery of Ontario railway stations, Ontario Railway Station Museums; and general Railway History Research, including extensive newspaper research, Timetables and summaries of various Canadian railways.
- Information about the model railway hobby: Drop-down menu Railway Modelling.
- A visit to my Hornby-Dublo layouts with some tips and thoughts.
- A Calendar of (mostly) Ontario train shows and events.
- A visit to my unique Toy Train Track Museum, which includes a page perhaps helpful for anyone wishing to identify track from the bygone toy train era.
- A summary of Trains on TV and Screen.
- An album of Railway and Traction Thematic Postage Stamps
- Useful links to railway history-related, rail trail, railway modelling and general information websites.
And if you would like some nostalgic branchline steam sound for ambience, click the play button on the player below!
- A new page, summarizing Railway Gauges in Ontario, has been added.
- The Railway & Locomotive Historical Society has granted me permission to reproduce the seminal history of GTR locomotives from its Bulletin #147. A new page GTR Locomotives - R&LHS Bulletin #147 has been added.
- The Gallery of Ontario Stations has been allocated its own main menu, and the stations have been moved over to individual sub-menus by alphabet so that each page will load faster.
- The Postage Stamps - Railways and Traction page has been reorganized to display the stamps by Continent, again so that each page will load faster.
- The scans of Rod Clarke's TG&B and T&N Diaries have been completed.
- UNDER CONSTRUCTION: Canadian Rail, or formerly the CRHA Bulletin/News Report, has been foremost for the past 80 years in publishing a monthly newsletter on all aspects of Canadian railways and transit. The CRHA has generously made its past copies up to 2014 available on-line, but unfortunately there is no content index after issue #117. The PDF link to each Issue is available here, and the feature article(s) of each Issue is (are) gradually being recorded alongside each link.
Rails to Goderich
Sold out at the distributor's (Credit Valley Railway Company), but please note that Ralph Beaumont has set aside a couple of cases for shows and talks. He will have them at a talk he is giving to the OVAR group in Ottawa on April 10.
The Portage Railway - An Illustrated History of the Huntsville & Lake of Bays Railway
by Jeff Young and Peter Foley
It is in the final design stage and will, we hope, be available late April or early May. It will be landscape format 11x9 - hard cover - and working toward 224 pages plus 20 large foldout drawings and plans. 300 photos, 85 per cent never before published. Retail $69.95, to be distributed by the Credit Valley Railway Company. Further advice when advance orders are available.
Speed Graphics and Steam 1957
For more information and to order, go to What's New in Publications Expected April 2018.
More than a Train Yard and a Whistle Stop: The CPR's Brownville Division 1886 to 1963
For more information and to order, go to What's New in Publications Only 30+ copies left.
Trackside with VIA: Vol 4: Research and Recollections
For more information and to order, go to What's New in Publications
Bytown Railway Society Publications
2017 Trackside Guide. Sold out.
See above to place an advance order for the 2018 Guide.
Hamilton's Other Railway (CRHA Book Award Winner 2002)
Yes, you can still get a copy!☺. Click here to order.
Model Railway Project News and Updates
The Nottawasaga Model Railway Club is recreating the Meaford Subdivision CNR in HO Scale at the Bygone Days Heritage Village in Collingwood. It is a compressed 47 by 14 foot layout of the Barrie to Meaford line. The group was written up in an article in the Collingwood Connection of January 26, 2017. Their website is: www.nottawasagamodelrailway.com (Information courtesy David Vuckson)
Preservation Project News and Updates
The GTR Burlington Freeman (Ont.) station is an ongoing work of restoration in progress, and the Friends of the Freeman station are always on the look-out for volunteers to help the work along. For more information, go to The Friends of the Freeman Station, or email email@example.com.
The Northern Ontario Railroad Museum and Heritage Centre (Capreol, Ontario), which now attracts more than 10,000 visitors annually is asking for support and financial assistance from individuals, companies and organizations with particular reference to two ambitious projects: the restoration of T&NO STEAM LOCOMOTIVE 219 and the re-creation of CAPREOL’S “PADDY WAGON”. Please click here for more details about the Museum and these restoration projects. For a copy of the story of No. 219, please click here. To donate, please use this form.
The Searchmont Station Preservation & Historical Society is raising funds with the aim of restoring what is left of this station (on the CN Soo Subdivision [former Algoma Central Railway].) For more information, click here.
For any questions, information or suggestions, please Contact Me.
Please allow a few days for reply.
Site last updated February 16, 2018
About my Website:
I am very pleased with my web host, Bandzoogle. (They are tickled pink to have me, even though I am not a band. ☺ ) This site is easy to manage and update, the support team is right there when you need them (and that's not often, because the web design is very user-friendly. Bandzoogle has a "rewards for referral" program but I have not entered it - I have nothing to gain from this endorsement. Click here to investigate for yourself. End of commercial.